Wednesday, December 29, 2010

White Christmas

We don't get many snows at Christmas but this year we were blessed with a few inches to a couple feet, depending on where you were.   I took the week off, which gave me the opportunity to get out and shoot some winter landscape photography this week.

The first day was spent within 3 - 4 miles of the house.   This one was less than a mile away.  That's Fall Creek on the left.   The footprints were there when I got there.  I think this looks pretty good in black and white.

This next one is a little different.  It's a window at the old Washington College Academy near Limestone Tennessee.   The school is closed but it's still a pretty place to photograph.   You can see the reflections of snow in the window.


I did get out and take some traditional landscape shots this week.  June and I drove up past Damascus Virginia to the little town of Taylor's Valley to get to the Virginia Creeper Trail.   There was 4 - 6 inches of fluffy snow on the trail.  No bikers this day, but there were plenty of cross country skier tracks.   I took several photos of the trail and creek.
 


One of my favorite Christmas presents this year is the Nik Complete Collection of photo editing software.   One of the packages is a new HDR tool that can produce HDR images that don't have the edgy HDR look.   This is one of my first attempts with that software.

This shot would not have been possible without the HDR software.   It is a composite of three images taken at different exposures to get the bright sunset and the front of the house in the shadows.  It's one of my new favorites.

These photos, and others, are available on my website under the Winter gallery.   Many other photos are also available on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment