Friday, January 1, 2010

Wakodahatchee Wetlands December 2009


Seems like when ever we're on vacation, June and I will get up at completely unreasonable times to drive somewhere to take pictures at sunrise. Why would we do such crazy things on vacation? I do it because the golden hour just before and after sunrise is the best time for outdoor photography. The light is low making long interesting shadows. The light is also softer and has a warmer color. As long as the weather cooperates, it's the best time of the day to take photographs outside. I guess June gets up this early on vacation because she loves me :)

While visiting family in West Palm Beach, we got up early one morning to go to the Wakodahatchee Wetlands in Delray Beach, which is a great place to photograph birds. Wakodahatchee means "Created Waters" in Siminole Indian. The wetlands were created by pumping treated waste water into the wetlands. The birds naturally migrate and nest in the wetlands. We saw Great Blue Herons, Green Herons, Anhingas, Cooper's Hawks, Egrets, and many other birds. There were even a few gators lurking around. They have built a system of boardwalks that allow you to walk among the wetlands to get close up views of the wildlife.

My photos from this trip are available http://www.thesiggins.com/Earth-Sea-and-Sky-1/Florida/13630510_8hY5W#994658109_agyMd
More information about the wetlands is available at http://www.pbcgov.com/waterutilities/wakodahatchee/

1 comment:

  1. Some lovely shots from one of my favourite wetlands on the East Coast. I hope you drove the extra mile on to Green Cay once you were done at Wako? I've been to Wako many times, in fact West Palm Beach is where I usually stayed on my visits to Florida from here in the UK, but now it's back down in Miami. Really enjoyed looking at your shots, makes me wish I had time to travel up to Wako when I was there in December! Maybe next trip...

    ReplyDelete