Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The polls are closed and the results are in!

Thanks to the 41 people who voted on their favorite photos for the 2016 Calendar.  You have made my life easier by narrowing the photos down to 13.  It was close.  There was a 4 way tie for 9th place and one vote could have moved Alaska Range or Old Baylor in to the winners circle.

Forgot what they looked like?  You can return to the same website as before.  The top 13 have been sorted to the top of the list of photos.

http://www.thesiggins.com/SpecialProjects/2016-Calendar-Candidates/

I always learn from these fun polls.  Here's some tidbits

  1. You don't have to go far to get a winning photo.  Sometimes no more than 40 feet from your back door.  Peaceful Sunset and God's Painting were taken from by back yard.
  2. You don't have to spend a lot on camera gear.  Seward Harbor (16th place) was taken with my cell phone!
  3. It's hard to beat a beautiful sunrise in the mountains.   Smoky Mountain Sunrise was in the lead the entire time.  It's a good thing you like this one because I had to leave home at 4 AM to be there on time.
  4. People are drawn to warm colors, like red, yellow and orange.   This is something that painters and photographers have known for a long time.
  5. Flowers never do well.  People seem to like them, but not enough to look at them for a month.   
  6. With the exception of a Big Bull Moose, animals typically don't come out on top.
  7. It's a good thing I don't pick the photos.  Some of my favorites didn't make the cut.   The reason I like those more than other people is they remind me of where I was and what I was doing when I took the photo.   I can remember each and every one and get excited thinking about those good times.


Now comes the fun part.  I'll be spending the next several days preparing the calendar to send to the printer.   That includes triple checking for errors.  I don't want to make a mistake like losing a day.  I actually did that on the 2014 calendar.

I've already got orders for almost 100 calendars.  Supplies are limited to 350 so don't wait to the last minute.  Every year there will be a few people that miss out when they're all gone.  Send me an email to r.siggins@charter.net to let me know how many you want to reserve.   They are still only $15 each.   I should have them in mid-November.  Pass the word.

2 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to ask: do photographers tend to choose calendar images differently than non-photographers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. Most of the people who vote are not serious (nut case) photographers like some of us. Most people go with their emotions, what they like and don't look for compositional rules, technical correctness, and other less important things. I bet if only photographers voted it would have turned out completely different.

    ReplyDelete